Tuesday, January 1, 2008

AOG Series: Take '08


Past year’s resolutions have always focused on the same things.. Making more money, launching a business, being more positive, finding a mate, blowin’ up, and anything else you can think of.. But as I entered into 2008, I felt completely different.. I thought about the “gangsta” mentality.. I listened to the entertainers and athletes and people on TV talking about getting it and taking it to another level this year.. I heard it all.. It was cute.. But it was the same..

The time for change is here.. Dang I sound like a Barack campaign speech.. Everybody is struggling.. Rich, poor, young, old, Black, white, educated, straight stupid, greedy, ugly.. It really don’t matter.. One week you can be killin’ it, and the next you’re getting killed.. This year we have to keep that gangsta mentality.. when we get that off week, we change our focus.. We don’t have to dwell on it, we just need a few “woo-sahs”, a pack of nowalatas (y’all know that’s how we say it!), and a red pop.. get that in your system and blow that ish oooouuuuuuttttt.. after that moment, then focus on taking your moment back..

Bring in the new year like Hov did opening up his new spot in Vegas.. Create ways to enjoy what’s rightfully yours.. Do stuff you want to do.. Don’t worry about having to get up early on Tuesday morning to go to work.. Stay up late and watch Huey and Riley take over that 11:30PM slot on Monday.. It’s worth it.. When you get to work the next day and people ask you why you have bags under your eyes, speak to them in the voice of Riley.. “Do you know me? I’m carrying money in these bags!!” (on another note, if you get the chance, watch episodes of The Boondocks back to back and see if you don’t start talking and thinking like Huey and Riley!!)

Let’s keep our eyes out for some potential gangstas.. the ones I see are:

Hov:

The Vegas 40/40 was just the start.. 40/40 in Tokyo is coming, and many more as this brand continues to be viewed as the hip-hop spot.. Although he’s still President of Roc-a-fella Records, there is talk of him joining up with Apple.. I’m not sure what the Roc would be w/out him, but I’d be willing to watch how it would crumble..

Barack:

Dude just won the Iowa Caucus.. What more do I have to say? Just the thought of my grandparent being able to witness a Black President gives me a bit of a chill..

Oprah:

The real O(prah).G… I’ll stay watching her moves..

Will Smith:

As my man C3 said, he’s positioned as the next Denzel.. but bigger.. he’s started to put more money into businesses such as Carol’s Daughter and even his own production company.. Watching his family take over movies, dude has a lot of power in Hollywood..

Alicia Keys:

Last year she took over.. forget her music.. her philanthropic stuff was something we haven’t seen.. she stole the spotlight from Angelina Jolie and the work she has been doing.. but, now that you throw in a hit album with a #1 song, we could be seeing a lot of Ms. Keys this year..

LeBron James:

The most marketable player in the NBA, is also doing a lot in the business world.. from chillin’ with Warren Buffett, to building a village in China, dude is doing some things.. While we know he won’t be getting back to the NBA Championship any time soon (that was a fluke last year), he’s still killing the league.. I tip my hat to him.. on Fortune covers and SI.. I’m just sayin’..

Who else should we be targeting as potential gangstas in 2008?

No comments: