Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tales from the Booth


ok, so i just voted for my man, Barack Obama.. the future President of the USA.. Brasil, i'm coming if something crazy happens, so please have my bed ready!!

so, i wake up at 6am today.. realizing that my polling spot opens at 6am.. ok, well it was like 6:14am, but i didn't set my alarm.. i have that internal clock thing going on.. anyway.. i creep out of bed and look out the window.. no lines! YES!!

yea, hate on.. my polling place is DIRECTLY across the street from me.. i wrote a blog about that back in the day after my vote wasn't counted for Barack in the primaries.. old news.. anyway..

so i'm excited that there wasn't a line, cuz i've been hearing about the long lines.. not that it matters.. actually, as i type this, my best friend is in a long line around the block in another part of the Bronx.. but it's beautiful to be sending text messages before 7am and get responses from everybody.. everybody is out there.. at least my peoples are.. history in the making..

ok, so i finally get up around 6:24am.. yup, 6:24am on the dot.. wash my face, do all that good stuff, throw on some sweats, sneakers, jacket and a hat.. i'm dressed for voting success!! i get outside, still no line.. woo-hoo!! i see a police scooter parked in front of the crib.. got an instant bad feeling, but i moved on as soon as i crossed the street.. took some pics outside the spot.. felt good.. saw an older Black woman videotaping her mother going to vote.. i think i felt a tear creeping from my belly to my eye in about 3.8 seconds.. i didn't allow the tear to beat me.. my instincts were clocked at 3.5 seconds..

so i walk inside.. aww shoot..

nah, no lines.. just the okey-doke.. confusion.. they have 2 lines (which i found out was 3 later on).. 1 line says 44th District.. the other says 45th.. EVERYBODY in there was confused.. except those that brought those cards.. i didn't have mine.. most of us didn't.. some man was walking around assisting people with locations, but this dude was just a helper.. usually i'd say he was worthless, but he was helping out doing a job he's obvious not trained for.. looking up addresses is VERY hard.. anyway..

i see my neighbor, but he doesn't see me.. i stand behind him.. we finally figure out that we're in the 45th District.. but again, this feels like one of those Bush tactics.. it's like 25 people there.. since when did we have to go to a booth that was labeled w/ our district? it is what it is.. i hope and pray that everyone's vote is counted.. moving on..

i get to the table where they are trying to find our name.. last time, they couldn't find my name, and i had to do the P Vote (look it up, it's too early for me to remember how to spell it when i can't remember how to pronounce it!).. again, that vote was never counted.. i'm not bitter (i promise - wink wink).. well, here we go again..

i tell him my name and say "it starts with a P".. even though he has my ID right there in front of him.. do y'all know this Voting Helper (Black man) didn't know his ABC's?? that dude was stuck on M forever.. then went backwards.. i'm like "my man, P is AFTER M".. after some blank stares, he finally got it.. we laughed about it.. i dang near wanted to say, vote for Barack, so your children have a chance, cuz you, my friend, did not get a proper K-5 education!

my people, my people..

so i help the lady next to him spell my name on the card.. finally, i'm in the booth..

aww shoot.. i'm lost.. i feel like the Voting Helper who doesn't know his ABC's!! this ancient machine has me shook.. joint is so big, it looks like it can eat me.. i'm staring at Barack's name.. trying to move the lever.. ain't budging.. i take a deep breath, and take a smaller step back.. i'm confused.. i want to call for help, but i know i can beat this big machine that looks like the first computer.. i know i can.. i know i can!! so i look up and see some directions.. ahh-haa!!

i move this big lever to the right, and then i hit the switches.. all Democrat.. i have no clue who the other people were.. i'm horrible, i know.. well, the one chick lives right down the block from me.. so that was it.. i just pushed all the levers to the Democrat names, saw the X mark the spot, and pulled the lever..

jackpot!! i did it!! I VOTED FOR THAT ONE!! Yes sir!! i made history!! commence with instant texting and picture taking!! here i thought that i would get right back in bed, but i'm blogging to all of you.. texting to even more (i think).. having conversations w/ ppl standing in long lines (i'm here for moral support!).. and it'll keep going.. Fuzion has an all-day event at BBRAXTON starting at 10AM, where we'll have food and drinks (big up to CIROC for being a sponsor!) and watch all the news come in.. at 11AM i'll turn on The View (yup, i like that show.. go Whoopi!!) at the shop, and have dudes hating.. it's all good..

Go Vote!! (if you're confused, go with the dude who sounds like the most unlikely choice for President)

1 comment:

C3 said...

Ahh, this is beautiful. The movement has started. Next stop, the local joints so you [and everybody else] will know who those other folks are and whether they deserve our votes.

I'm proud of you Bruh. This is what it's about. Paving the way for future poll workers to know the alphabet! But also, encouraging others to get involved - good stuff.