Friday, February 8, 2008

AOG Series: Spread the Word

What’s your definition of a gangster?

“You have people who go to work everyday 9-to-5 that are gangster in my eyes. There’s a parallel between the CEO of a major company… and a guy who’s the boss in the neighborhood.”

50 Cent
Vibe Magazine, March ‘08

I’m not trying to take credit, but I’m just saying.. Peep that in the latest issue of Vibe.. They need to credit TROUBL, but we’ll let that slide for the time being.. I love the word of mouth ability that we have.. There is nothing like it.. Every AG has instituted that in its marketing plan.. On the street, it could be a pigeon or a young runner that is spreading the word.. In the boardroom it’s the whispers that resonate whenever the boss is in the building.. A great feeling to have.. I still recall vividly when I was out on business and my partner from Cali came into the office.. Word traveled quickly.. Dude was treated like a king, too.. I almost felt like it was his company when I came back to the office.. But, as I recall the story, it feels good.. Dude had that power..

Gangsters aren’t made by their lonesome.. Most times, we’re carried by others in the beginning.. Others spread the word about us, and the legend spreads.. Behind every AG, there’s a great viral marketing campaign.. Remember that dude you grew up with that was knocking cats out for no reason? Or the fastest dude on the block? The cat that could grab coins off the backboard.. The chick that could jump double-dutch like no other? The girl that could beat up the other guys? Man, when I look back, I was the fastest on the block for a sec.. They hyped me up.. I mean, I was fast, but I knew other dudes could get me in a race.. When I felt the pack catching up, I knew it was time to retire.. Why get beat? Shoot, I had my rep of “I’m sick of beating y’all all the time, someone can have the crown”.. Even though I knew that next cat was one more race from beating me.. I wasn’t about to go out like Joe Louis or Ali.. Or Mike.. The bottom line, the boys and girls on the South Side of Chicago trumped me up to be bigger than I was.. Not me.. Let’s not sleep on our own abilities to make a difference..

Shout loud and long about our own gangsters.. Who were some of the gangsters that you’ve made in your lifetime? If you don’t feel like talking about it, that’s cool.. Just remember it.. Remember the power you held in making it happen for others.. Remember that we can build giants and gangsters, if we really believe in them.. We don’t have to come equipped with the gangster lifestyle.. I have a young AG in training that’s going to be on ABC tonight in “A Raisin in the Sun” (8/7c).. Justin Martin.. Peep him.. I’ve been hyping him since I first met him.. Knew he was on that path, and did all that I could to move him up the ranks ASAP.. If you hadn’t heard about him, you would’ve after I was through talking with you.. Shoot, I have business meetings in one of my clients’ establishments, just to spread the word.. AGs exist all over the place, we just need to get our marketing on..

Spread the word.. You never know, the next thing you hear could be a story about yourself! Or a feature in Vibe that says some things that you’ve already said or thought!! You never know!!

No comments: