Friday, February 1, 2008

AOG Series: Gangster Starter Kit Part 2


Fresh off the trip to New Orleans to witness the players, hustlers, pimps, prostitutes that look like men, ballers on a budget, women prepped and primed, and a handful of AGs, I bring you the 2nd installment of the Gangster Starter Kit.. If you didn’t peep the first one, you need to go check it, because I’m not providing the Cliff Notes for this..

I was inspired even more by what I witnessed this past weekend, and I realized that I needed to offer all of you much more than I did with the first part.. So, enjoy!

• Personal Hygiene Products
So, I figured this was a no-brainer.. I figured wrong.. No AG is running around funky or a hot mess.. An AG might forget his gum, but you better believe that an AG will make a mental note to go grab some at the first opportunity.. Funky breath is bad for all of our/your senses.. Not just the sense of smell.. Peep game.. Your funky breath bothers my sight.. When I can see fumes coming from your mouth, that’s not a good thing.. Bad breath can make your eyes water.. When your breath affects my sense of taste, that’s a big problem.. You basically just ished in my mouth, and I’ve never partaken in a dish of poop, but some of y’all are forcing this on us.. And when you get so close that I have to swing? Yea, that’s touch.. Deodorant is a must as well.. Same with brushing your hair (this coming from a dude that doesn’t own a brush or comb!).. Get your hygiene game together people!! All-around funkiness, is very not gangsta..

• Mental GPS System
An AG has to be aware of his surroundings.. Nah, I’m not talking about knowing how to get around time, find your local greenery man, or the best soul food spot.. I’m talking about knowing where you are and how to act accordingly.. Do not show up to a black-tie affair with your tshirt unless it’s a Nike event or something.. Don’t go throwing out the n-word when you’re the only Black person around, you just sound like the n-word.. Don’t go meeting your man’s family for the first time, looking like you’re ready to hit up Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras.. Your Mental GPS should let you know when it’s right to pull out that business card so that you can win a new client, or make a great connection.. That is very gangsta..

• Credible Sphere of Influence
This one is important.. Surround yourself with good people, and the chances of you doing some good to great things are increased.. A posse is cool.. I’m not mad at a posse.. Just make sure your posse is not going to bring you down.. When your posse is full of men itchin’ for a scratch, y’all might have fleas.. That’s not gangsta.. If your posse is full of women diggin’ for gold, y’all might want to watch I’m Gonna Git You Sucka again.. You can die from that!! An AG can tap into his rolodex to find the best party at All-Stars and get you and a few others in without a problem.. An AG can pull out the crackberry and have that lawyer ready to come bail him out in a second.. Need that ticket to a sold-out concert? You want some connects that can get you to the show.. A connect that can help get your child into school.. Just something tangible.. I mean, maybe 1 or 2 (okay 3 or 4) can help get you those greens to get you through a rough night, because we all have our days and moments.. That’s gangsta too..

So, those are just 3 additions to the kit.. Out of those 3, if you can’t get all 3, start with that first one.. A stick of gum, lotion, Sure.. I’ll give you that for free..

Until next time.. Stay gangsta..

No comments: